March 13, 2014

Pick and Choose


I am slowly starting to come to terms with the fact that once I willingly share an image with the public, it is no longer mine to control. 

I'm going to confess a little secret... The two images on this blog that are by far the most popular are two images I really don't care about at all. I mean yeah sure, they're pretty. I made the images and on that level I stand behind them. However, they don't make me feel anything in particular either. I don't look at them and feel happy, or sad, enlightened, or frustrated, or accomplished. I don't have much of an emotional connection to either one.

But you know what? That is perfectly ok because obviously someone else does like them a whole that more than I do and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't get to pick and choose which pieces of mine inspire some kind of response.

When I realize it isn't up to me that does tend to take a lot of pressure off. I can just make things. I can choose to like them or not. I can choose to share them or not. The rest is up to someone else. 

Camera: Mamiya C330 TLR
Film: Fomapan 100
Location: Portland, OR - Columbia River Gorge

No comments:

Post a Comment