January 12, 2014

It's Ok to Scare Me


I'll be the first to admit that I have a very difficult time capturing faces. Or maybe the better way to put that is I have a difficult time capturing expressions.

For most of my life I've focused my photography on the body. As beautiful as I find figures to be it must be said that sometimes they really just amount to being another object in the frame - no different than a rock or a tree or a field of grass. I don't mean to imply that is a lesser photographic aesthetic because it is certainly not, but it does mean the majority of my concentration is on finding pleasing shapes and lines that can dance across a frame.

Looking purely at a person's face however is without a doubt outside my comfort zone. Having them look back at me, into my camera, and in many ways right into my own eyes is downright terrifying.

Sometimes I like to be terrified.

Camera: Mamiya C330 TLR
Film: Fuji Neopan 400
Location: Portland, OR

No comments:

Post a Comment