July 7, 2013

Home



I'm home.

It feels in many ways like a mixed blessing to be here.  On one hand I welcome back in my life the familiar Pacific Northwest - the trees, the cool air and summer rains, the familiar sounds of bicycles and river boats.  I've missed my home and even to a degree my regular and dull routines.  At the same time I am already longing for the road again and the endless miles stretched out ahead of me.  It's amazing how truck stops and gas stations and silly roadside attractions can become places of endearment.



Most of all though, I miss the dear and special friend I left behind.

I learned a great many things while traveling between the west to the east. For example, sidewalks are not something one should ever take for granted. Evidently only rebels double space after a period these days.  The state of Iowa has perhaps the friendliest people on the planet combined with the biggest and most irritating flies you can imagine.  Finding a cowboy hat is more difficult in Wyoming than one might think. Fireflies are nothing short of magical at night and it is incredibly important that one never feed the Bison...they are dangerous after all.

Also, if you are going to buy fireworks, you might as well pick up a bottle of whiskey for the road.

I made a ton of photographs while on my journey which I will be posting to this blog over time.  I hope you enjoy them.  Some of them I think I will keep to myself as they are just too special to give to the Internet, but others I will share if for no other reason than to prove that sometimes adventures do happen.


(oh, and the attached image is a 3 minute pinhole exposure made on 4x5 film...just an fyi)

Camera: Ilford Titan Pinhole
Film: Fomapan 100
Model: Olivia Odd
Location: Portland, OR 

No comments:

Post a Comment